- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pine nuts and hot sauce (optional)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, celery and garlic and saute for two minutes.
- Add quinoa, oregano and thyme and continue heating for four minutes.
- Add chicken and saute for another 4-5 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked, stirring regularly.
- Stir in lentils and cover with broth.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils and quinoa are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add more broth during cooking if needed.
- Garnish with pine nuts and hot sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts. 420 calories | 42 g protein | 45 g carbs | 8 g fat | 11 g fiber | 4 g sugar | 163 mg sodium
source. muscle and fitness HERS magazine | may/june 2008
[This content has been modified from an article that originally appeared on FIToriBlog on December 14, 2010]