This is a blog about nutrition and fitness
I THOUGHT EVERYONE STARTED WITH RICE CEREAL.
When I started hearing discussions about “rice cereal” as my daughter’s first food, I thought….why rice cereal at all? Should her first food be cereal? Grains? Carbs? We don’t eat cereal. Why should that be her first food? Is that adding any nutrition to her diet? Is iron fortification the best way to get iron into her diet? I have decided….I do not think so. [Side note: regarding iron, the best source is MEAT!]
I RESEARCHED AND I DECIDED….
I made the following conclusions…for myself and my baby….after doing my research on baby nutrition:
- Breastmilk is the most important “food” for my baby until 6 months…really until 9 months, with some fun experimentation into food starting at 6 months.
- Rice cereal is empty carbs and not worth filling up my baby’s tummy and therefore taking the place of breastmilk.
- Spoon-feeding my baby doesn’t sound like fun for me or for baby.
- Baby-led weaning sounds like tons of fun.
- The fact that my baby’s digestive system may not be ready for solids before 6 months was enough for me to wait until 6 months old. [I read that introducing foods before 6 months could cause her body to attack that food and cause food allergies later. Not sure if that’s true but it does make sense.]
So, we started last week [6 months old] and baby led weaning is a blast!!! We started with bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, broccoli, egg yolks etc. We’ve been steaming veggies that we cut into 2 inch pieces. She is having sooo much fun! We [FITori & FIThubby & FITdog Toby] are having sooo much fun! We are enjoying meal times as a family. We are all eating and enjoying our meals together. No one is taking turns spoon-feeding the baby and then eating our own meals. There is a ton of mess and oh what fun to make a mess! Toby is loving helping with clean up!
A few fun iPhone pics from last week…
If you’re interested in our research, we read and *followed* the advice in these three books.
I also found this FANTASTIC website recently that helps explain different foods for baby. It’s fabulous! I’m learning SO much about individual foods! Why didn’t I know this before?!
As always, tell me what you think, your research and what you did or are doing with your kiddos!
[This content has been modified from an article that originally appeared on FIToriBlog on January 9, 2012]