I found ONE deodorant that ACTUALLY WORKED!!! It was a random recommendation in a Norwex Party. After I tried this deodorant, I loved it. And, a bonus…it came with a cute travel tin! After I found this deodorant and loved it, I knew I needed to at least TRY to replicate it on my own. And, I found a recipe that uses similar ingredients that I now LOVE!!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase a product using one of these links it will help support this blog, at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting this blog!
SO WHY CAN’T I KEEP USING MY TRADITIONAL DEODORANT?
Do a quick web search on the toxic ingredients in typical deodorant and antiperspirant.
ARE CRYSTAL DEODORANTS ANY SAFER?
In my quest for a safe deodorant, I looked into crystal deodorants. I found that the ingredients still included the word “alum” or “aluminum” which made me curious. I found this article by Dr. Mercola on aluminum in crystal deodorants. There are more articles out there that point to questions about the ingredients. So, I moved on to the next option.
MY FAVORITE DEODORANT TO BUY.
Their ingredient list is short and recognizable. Organic coconut oil, pure baking soda, organic arrowroot, organic shea butter, organic beeswax, organic tea tree oil.
Once my husband started using this deodorant as well, I realized I was going to be going through this deodorant pretty quickly! [Large, hairy armpits use more deodorant, apparently.] And, since I make a lot of natural home products, I had all of these ingredients. I decided to try and make a similar deodorant. I found one I love!
MY FAVORITE DEODORANT TO MAKE.
I love this recipe. I’ve been using it for years!
- THE RECIPE CHANGES WITH THE SEASON. Every single time I make this recipe, I tweak it. I think it has to do with the air temperature for the season and sometimes for the room it is stored. I almost always add more coconut oil. I like mine pretty creamy but not runny. I don’t want it to “melt” until I smear it on my pits. 🙂 I make it, look at it, smear it, try it. I add more of this and more of that until it’s just the right consistency. Then when it’s just right I put it in the jar!
- ONCE IT’S RIGHT, MAKE AHEAD IN BULK. I make a BUNCH at a time so I don’t have to tweak it and make it often. This is my secret to all homemade products. Just like buying in bulk at Costco [I love Costco!] I make my homemade recipes in bulk (if they’ll “keep”) and store a refill jar in my laundry room so I can refill my jars when needed. This means I only have to do this every few months…twice a year if I’m lucky and makes the process of homemaking products much less time consuming. [I do this with my foaming hand sanitizer, laundry detergent, laundry fabric softener, etc. These recipes will be on the blog soon.]
My recipe below is adapted from The Prairie Homestead Natural Coconut Oil Deodorant Recipe. It’s basically different everytime but I start with the framework below.
FITori DIY Natural Coconut Oil Deodorant Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 4 Tablespoons corn starch [for antiperspirant effect]
- 5-10 drops essential oils
- Mix baking soda, corn starch, and arrowroot powder in a bowl.
- Mix in coconut oil with a pastry blender or fork. I continue adding coconut oil until it’s the consistency I want. Then when I add too much coconut oil on accident [oops!] I start adding the dry ingredients again until it’s just right.
- Add essential oils. [I like tea tree & lemon. Be aware of citrus oils & sun exposure.]
- Add more coconut oil or dry ingredients, until it’s just right for you!