I served this bread on Saturday night when we had friends over. It passed the test of The Owens Family Circus. Although, I think Toby (my dog) got half the loaf because he figured out pretty quickly that Neely (who is almost 2) would share or drop bread for him.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Preheat oven to 350. Mist an 8×4-inch or 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together apple, zucchini, egg, yogurt and honey.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold until just combined. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
Nutrients per 3/4-inch slice (2 oz)
Calories: 113, Total Fat: 1 g, Sat. Fat: .25g, Carbs: 24g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 9g, Protein: 4g,
This recipe came from the Sept/Oct 2010 edition of Clean Eating Magazine. It was s submitted by Christina Certo. If you haven’t subscribed to this magazine yet, do! It has some GREAT info and only comes out 6 times a year so it won’t require too much of your time!