I tried two recipes for a recent appetizer “coffee” with our wives’ group. One sucked. One didn’t. I’m sharing the good one! The one that sucked was from an old Oxygen Magazine. It was just sweet with vanilla and cinnamon and it had no kick! This sweet and spicy recipe is the perfect combo!!!
I have to differentiate this recipe and let you know that this is not a recipe for healthy, daily eating. This is for a special occasion, to entertain or for a holiday. It is not unhealthy per-say (sp?) but raw nuts are best for healthy eating and it’s always best to limit sugar!
- 2 cups lightly salted roasted mixed nuts (an 11.5 ounce can)
- I used my raw nuts and added some salt and they are fabulous!
- They get roasted in the oven during this recipe so they don’t need to be pre-roasted
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used organic)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white, sugar, paprika, and cayenne.
- Add the nuts and toss to coat.
- Bake at 350 F on a parchment-lined baking sheet until the coating is set, 12 – 15 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
source: Real Simple Magazine | November 2010